Save the Children
Child Safeguarding Statement for Adverts
Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organisation and all candidates will be therefore be subject to this scrutiny.
CS positioning statement:
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
JOB TITLE: Head of Campaigns, Communications and Media, China
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Communications, Media and Campaigns
Number of Positions: 1
CONTRACT LENGTH: 2 years
Level 2: the role holder will have access to personal data about children and/or young people as part of their work
ROLE PURPOSE: As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) in China, the Head of Campaigns, Communications and Media (HCCM) shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the Country Office (CO). The job holder is responsible for leading the Communications, Campaigns and Media engagement work for Save the Children China to underpin the realization of the Country Strategic Plan.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: COO
Direct Reports: Campaigns, Communications and Media Senior Officer
Budget holder role：Yes
Financial Approval: Yes
· Interpersonal contact regular and varied, involved negotiation, influencing skills, and representation at national level and donor / press visits, celebrity engagement.
Strategy and planning
· Provide strategic direction and management of Save the Children China’s Campaigns, Communications and Media engagement work and ensure that Campaigns and Communication is an integral part of Save the Children China’s Theory of change.
· Lead in the development and implementation of an effective external Campaigns and Communication strategies, ensuring their alignment with the 2019-2021 Country Strategic Plan and looking into external partnership possibilities where relevant (working accordingly with CO Partnerships Advisor).
· Ensure the voice of children and communities is amplified and linked to national and global level communication and campaigns
· Work with the programme team to ensure integration of campaigns and communications into holistic programme design, planning and implementation, especially ensuring that evidence and best practices generated by Save the Children’s programmes inform campaigns and communications work to achieve results at scale.
· Establish monitoring and evaluation processes of campaigns and communication work and ensure that implementation and impact are effectively monitored and evaluated
· Report on an annual basis as part of the Country Annual report on key achievements of the Communications and Campaigns work.
· Lead the planning and delivery of an effective external Communication and Campaign Strategy (off and online) designed to foster public engagement across all areas of work, contribute to advocacy efforts, support brand building, and honour donor commitments in line with country strategic plans.
· Develop insightful campaigns targeting key audiences to influence the public and bring about an enabling environment to support the advocacy and policy asks towards the global campaign Every Last Child
· Manage the implementation of SCI campaigns, working in close relations with programme implementation and PDQA teams, as well as partners when/where relevant.
· Devise best campaign tactics to achieve results and regularly review and monitor the impact of these tactics.
· Engage in proposal development to support securing sufficient funding to maintain or expand the country office’s communication & campaign activities through stand alone or integrated programming initiatives as per the country strategic plan needs.
· Ensure that communications and campaign efforts are adequately resourced, through active contributions to proposal development.
· Act as the main point of contact for media inquiries as well as celebrity engagement.
Media and Communications
· Proactively develop a high profile for Save the Children China through the production of high quality, well researched, and well written media and communication products
· Ensure that all products reflect the unified global branding and communication guidelines and are uniformly and consistently followed
· Ensure the development of high quality external communication products like country annual reports, including supporting products from program & advocacy teams
· Establish clear and effective internal communication systems & products & ensuring dissemination among internal and external stakeholders
· Ensure scale up on the delivery of robust communications & media engagement during emergencies
· Ensure internal communications products (such as monthly newsletters) and knowledge management systems contribute to the strengthening of Save the Children China team and culture.
· Build and lead a high-performance team to deliver on the Communications and Campaigns objectives; foster cohesion and integration in the team. Manage members of staff as well as interns and volunteers – providing support, motivation, and opportunities for staff development.
· Engage with the global Save the Children network to ensure good global practices and knowledge are leveraged, and knowledge and good practices from China shared
· Build the overall communication and campaigning capacity of the Save the Children China team, including through providing training and ongoing support to project communication and national spokespeople.
· Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s child safeguarding and other policies
Perform such other tasks and responsibilities as may be required from time to time in order to ensure the smooth running of the communication and campaigns team of Save the Children China Programme.
· At least five years’ experience in management positions relevant to this position;
· Bachelor degree, major in Communications, Journalism, media production, marketing/public relations is preferable
· Good understanding of the media and social media landscape in China;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Mandarin and English
· Strong leadership, people and interpersonal management, collaboration, and relationship building skills;
· A commitment to support cross-organizational initiatives and understanding of how to contribute to this;
· An ability to think strategically and to translate ideas into delivery of results;
· An understanding of and commitment to, the aims of Save the Children as an organization working for social change and active in the promotion of the rights of the child;
· Ability to operate within a predominantly administratively self-servicing environment.
· Experience of working in development or humanitarian assistance;
· Experience with campaigning, media and social media;
· Photography and video editing skills;
· Experience in delivering training, coaching or mentoring others.
SCI values are indicated below and we expect all candidates to align with such values.