Save the Children
Child Safeguarding Statement for Adverts
Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organisation and all candidates will be therefore be subject to this scrutiny.
CS positioning statement:
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
TITLE: Senior Education Project Officer
CONTRACT LENGTH: 2 Years
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: (select only one)
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Education project manager
Role Dimensions: The responsibilities of the post require you to work directly with children or young people, individually or in groups
All staff within the programme, education project staff in each office, education advisors or experts from other country programmes or head office
Governmental and community partners, children, young people, parents, other community members, other NGOs, donors, and academic institutions
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
• To lead and/or implement the relevant project(s) in terms of design, planning, budgeting, implementing, monitoring and evaluating and to produce high quality internal and external reports to SC upper levels, donors, and media
• To prepare and submit budgets for the project activities to the ine manager regularly, to authorise limited expenditure in line with the project budget and agree on the most effective management of the budget to achieve the project goals
• To contribute technical support to relevant areas relating to the project for project partners, parents, or other community members including training
• To work closely together with partners on implementing and further developing the project as well as on improving relevant policies and practices related to the project through advocacy and communications.
• To strengthen partnership with various partners to facilitate the implementation of projects and sustainability into the future when Save the Children hands over the project
• To lead the development of project proposals with Finance, Funding unit and Policy and Communications, with reference to the Programme Quality Team and write reports in a timely manner.
• To monitor the progress of the project(s) through regular project site visits and by the development of effective monitoring and evaluation systems for this project with advice from the Programme Quality Team and in coordination with the various partners.
• To contribute to the communications needs of the organisation, suggesting reports and case studies that will support fundraising or other needs
• To support the effective integration of child rights, child participation and education principles into projects
• To work with other stakeholders (children, NGOs, Donors, Government Departments) engaged in education activities in order to strengthen education work and to share both technical and financial resources in the interests of greater efficiency and effectiveness.
• To support China Programme initiatives relating to the implementation and integration of such cross-cutting issues as child-rights programming, disability and HIV/AIDS.
• To represent SC UK externally, actively networking to promote SC perspectives and building relationships that facilitate operations and bring into the organisation new insights on issues affecting children.
• To comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s child safeguarding and other policies.
• To perform such other tasks and responsibilities as may be required from time to time in order to ensure the smooth running of the team and the Save the Children China programme.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
• holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
• Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
• sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
• widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
• Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
• builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
• values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
• Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
• develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• Willing to take disciplined risks.
• Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
• A professional qualification at bachelor level or above in a related subject.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• Strong communication skills and analytical skills
• A flexible approach to work with good time management skills and the ability to priorities work and meet deadlines.
• Willing and be able to travel extensively and regularly to project sites and within China.
• Fluent in English, Mandarin and Uygur or another ethnic minority language, both spoken and written, with good report writing skills
• An understanding of and commitment to, the aims of SC as an organization working for social change and active in the promotion of the rights of the child.
• A commitment to support for cross-organizational initiatives and to team working and understanding of how to contribute to this.
• Ability to operate within a predominantly administratively self-servicing environment.
• A minimum of three years’ work experience in a related field, preferably in NGOs and with knowledge and experience of project implementation cycle, especially the ability to lead implement and plan activities in a timely manner.
• Able to carry out all appointed work in a non-political and non-discriminatory manner
• Experience of training, capacity building, or advocacy is preferred.
• Ability to speaking, reading and writing English is desirable.
Additional job responsibilities
• The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience
• The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures
• We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
• The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.