Save the Children
Child Safeguarding Statement for Adverts
Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organisation and all candidates will be therefore be subject to this scrutiny.
CS positioning statement:
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Consultancy title: Trainer of Rural Teacher Training for Yunnan WB ECCD Project 、
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Suggest appropriate – Level 2
Level 1: the consultant will not have contact with children and/or young people, or access to personal data about children or young people, as part of their work; therefore a police check will not be mandatory unless the content or location of the role changes, in which case the Child Safeguarding level will be reviewed.
Level 2: either the consultant will have access to personal data about children and/or young people as part of their service
Level 3: the consultant will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently or intensively
Weishan Rural Community Preschool Class Project is an innovative part of Yunnan Early Childhood Education Innovation Project (YECEIP), the first pre-school education program in China with World Bank (WB) loan, which is owned and implemented by Weishan County Education Bureau using WB loan of USD 1,000,000. The project, with the duration from February 2018 to December 2021, aims to drive preschool education development in rural villages and explore the preschool education service model in mountain areas for policy reference. 25 rural community classes are set up in 7 townships of Weishan County to pilot this rural community preschool class project. Since it is a piloting work and new initiative, Weishan County Education Bureau openly recruited an organization as project consultant that has relevant experiences and resources, and Save the Children won the bidding as a result of open tendering.
One of the important inventions of this project is to create the quality learning environment for rural children aged 3 to 6 years, and equipping rural teachers with core knowledge and competency on early childhood development and preschool education is crucial of this job. Based on our training progrmame for rural teachers, we will organize a 3-day training workshop for 44 rural teachers in July with the topic on “The theory and principle of implementing mixed age teaching in kindergarten, and how to practice the mixed aged training in rural setting”.
1. Improve the rural preschool teachers’ awareness and teaching skill to operate mixed age class teaching in rural settings;
2. Build rural preschool teachers’ idea on use of the advantage of mixed age children to better class management;
3. Guide the rural preschool teachers to develop their own teaching plan based on its mixed aged situation and general teaching plan provided by ECCD project.
1. Develop the training plan to guide the training delivery, including training schedule, training steps, training materials, pre-test and post-test.
2. Provide the training materials/handouts/aids list for preparation in advance.
3. Deliver a 3-day training about mixed age class teaching based on agreed training plan.
- A 3-day training workshop is successfully delivered in July.
- Training participants improve the learning and skills on mixed age class training and apply them in teaching practice observed in later monitoring.
Liu Chunhua-Senior Education Project officer
Below is the planned working schedule and deliverables for the consultant, and any change of the working date/deadline will be discussed and agreed by both Save the Children and the employed consultant on the basis of no change to working assignment and the workload.
Working time (day)
Fix the specific training contents based on the needs assessment analysis with Save the Children staff together
Before June 20th, 2019
Develop and finalize training plan approved by Save the Children
Before July 10th, 2019
Deliver training in Weishan county of Yunnan
3 days between July 10th-October 31, 2019 (specific days depends on local coordination and consultant’s time availability)
Note: the actual payment depends on the actual working days.
RMB 500 per day and total payment will not exceed RMB 3000.
Person Specifications required:
List the essential criteria to accomplish the consultancy task
- Bachelor degree or equivalent on preschool education or early childhood development
- At least 5 years or above relevant working experience on mixed age class teaching in Chinese kindergartens, and lead or participate in mixed age class teaching research
- Good knowledge on child development and Chinese preschool education policy, technical paper and guidance such as Early Learning and Development Guidelines for Children Aged 3 to 6 Years, Guidelines for Preschool Education (trial version)
- Good knowledge on cultural and economic situation of rural Yunnan, and preschool education development of Yunnan in both urban and rural areas
- Good experience at designing and delivering training to kindergarten teachers, particular to the teachers without professional preschool education study background
- Recognize and abided by Save the Children’s mission, vision, value and Child Safeguarding Policy
- Be willing to work with groups with diversity such as local partners and rural teachers, and share knowledge and good teaching practice with groups.
- Be flexible to adjust the working time and specific assignments in a certain extent if necessary.