CONTRACT LENGTH: Fixed Term
POST STATUS: National
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
To implement and manage provincial and cross provincial projects, project budgets, to reach the objectives and outcomes set within the proposal and agreed upon with the donor, and support the team in implementation of the related project thematic program plan.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Education Project Manager
Staff reporting to this post: N/A
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
· To lead and implement the relevant project(s) in terms of design, making and carrying out project plans, detailed activities design, phased budgets, leading on regular monitoring of project activities, and ultimately ensuring implementation of project activities on time, with quality, as per budget and with compliance and to produce high quality internal and external reports to SC upper levels, donors, and media
· To be responsible that all project activities are implemented and all project funds are spent in line with Chinese legal requirements and SCI internal procedures and processes.
· To be responsible for project financial monitoring and to assist in monitoring and strengthening financial accountability at programme management level.
· To deputize in absence of the Project Manager;
· To support the effective integration of child rights, child participation and education principles into projects and contribute technical support to relevant areas relating to the project for project partners, parents, or other community members including training
· To work closely together with partners on implementing and further developing the project as well as on improving relevant policies and practices related to the project through advocacy and communications.
· To identify good programme experience that has the potential to influence policy and practice for children elsewhere in China and work with the Project Manager to develop strategies to enable this.
· To strengthen partnership with various partners to facilitate the implementation of projects and sustainability into the future when Save the Children hands over the project
· To lead the development of project proposals with Finance, Funding unit and Policy and Communications, with reference to the Programme Quality Team and write reports in a timely manner.
· To develop the quality of child protection work by supervising and developing the skills of staff and building the capacity of government partners to ensure good planning and the smooth implementation of project activities.
· To support the effective integration of project activities into other projects where relevant, paying particular attention to Save the Children’s activities in child rights, child participation and protection.
· To identify good programme experience that has the potential to influence policy and practice for children elsewhere in China and work with the Education Project Manager to develop strategies to enable this.
· To support the Programme Development, Quality and Advocacy departments and Donor Relations and Awards Management department in developing the funding potential for the SC China Child protection programme, by supporting the development of quality proposals and partnerships, building on positive collaboration within team members and cross-cutting team work.
· To represent SCI externally , actively networking to promote SC perspectives and building relationships that facilitate operations and bring into the organisation new insights on issues affecting children.
· To comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s child safeguarding and other policies.
· To perform such other tasks and responsibilities as may be required from time to time in order to ensure the smooth running of the team.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
· holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
· builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· willing to take disciplined risks.
honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
· Bachelor Degree (3 years + education post-secondary school) in law, education, psychology, or social work etc. May be undertaking a professional qualification like a Master’s program
· At least 3 years relevant working experience in NGO progamme implementation which related to child child protection, education or other related field.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Strong interpersonal skill and ability to handle multiple tasks
· Good English communication skills, both written and verbal.
· Willingness to travel to field offices and work in difficult environments according to travel requirements.
· Familiar with using MS Outlook, Word and Excel
· Can work under pressure
· A flexible approach to work with good time management skills and the ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines.
· An energetic and proactive approach with the ability to work both independently and co-operatively within a team setting.
· Organization,planning and negotiation skills
· Experience in iNGO is an asset
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Child protection and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Child protection and Safety policies and procedures.