TITLE: Senior Project Officer _ Education
GRADE: Grade 4
24 months until December 31, 2018
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; ore because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
To plan, implement, develop and monitor the Basic Education Project, with the support from Yunnan Education Project Manager and local partners per agreed strategies and policies.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Senior Project Officer_ Education
Dimensions: Save the Children has been working in mainland China since the early 1980s. In collaboration with local communities, partners, and government, we work to ensure that all children, regardless of their background or abilities, receive quality services in China. Our programme works across five thematic sectors: child protection, child rights governance, education, health, and humanitarian response.
Number of direct reports: None
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- To support on the implementation of Basic Education project activities, contributing to design, planning, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation;
- Provide technical support for project partners and monitor the progress of the project through regular project site visits;
- Responsible for the Basic Education Training workshop planning, coordination and delivery;
- To develop Basic Education project models, training curriculum and teaching material;
- To support the Project Manager in the planning and preparation of high quality donor reports and funding proposals.
- To assist the Project Manager in preparation of project budgets, financial reports and forecasts and in monitoring and strengthening financial accountability at project management level;
- To deputize in absence of the Project Manager;
- Assist the school and community together to establish child rights and child participation awareness within the projects;
- To develop relationships between project staff and various partners to facilitate the implementation of project;
- Become aware of current policy and practices regarding rural education situation for children with disabilities at national and provincial levels;
- To provide necessary support to other components within the whole education project when required.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A professional qualification in the areas of education, health, development studies or social work;
- Ability to effectively communicate with people of different backgrounds, including in rural areas of project sites;
- Excellent professional and personal communication skills, and analytical skills;
- Good report writing skills;
- An energetic and proactive approach with the ability to work both independently and co-operatively within a team setting;
- A flexible approach to work with good time management skills and the ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines;
- Able to carry out all appointed work in a non-political and non-discriminatory manner;
- Willing and be able to travel extensively and regularly to project sites and within China;
- Fluent in English and Mandarin both spoken and in written;
- Experience in-group training, preferably using participatory methodologies.
- An understanding of and commitment to, the aims of SC as an organisation working for social change and active in the promotion of the rights of the child.
- A commitment to support for cross-organisational initiatives and to team working and understanding of how to contribute to this.
- Ability to operate within a predominantly administratively self-servicing environment.
- A minimum of three years work experience in an education related field, e.g. teaching or education projects, preferably working experience in the area of education in NGOs;
- Experience on project monitoring and evaluation, data collection and analysis.
If you are interested in this position, please read the Child Safeguarding first, fill in the Application Form and send it back to firstname.lastname@example.org before 8,Mar. 2017