Save the Children
Child Safeguarding Statement for Adverts
Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organisation and all candidates will be therefore be subject to this scrutiny.
CS positioning statement:
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse
JOB TITLE: Child Rights Governance Manager
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Programme Development and Quality
LOCATION: Beijing (with regular travel to field – at least 20% of time)
GRADE: Competitive Package
POST TYPE: National
ROLE PURPOSE: As a member of the Program Development and Quality team, the Child Rights Governance and Advocacy manager is responsible for leading the development of a high quality and innovative child rights governance programme and cross cutting advocacy initiatives that delivers immediate and lasting change for children in China.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Director of Program Development and Quality Advocacy
Staff directly reporting to this post: No but provide strong leadership for all the CRG team in programme implementation team.
Staff directly interact to this post: Project budget holders, Porgramme managers and Director of programme operations , senior officers working programmes across China; Communication and campaign team; Member and donor service team, M&E Specialists. Strategic development lead
The post holder will be budget holder for key national level CRG programme.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
· Provide strategic vision and direction to the Child Right Governance programme in Save the Children China
· Take a lead role in finalising and updating the Child Right Governance Strategy and related indicators, ensuring alignment with Save the Children’s global CRG program
· Inputting on Country Annual Plans and the Country Strategy as appropriate through providing guidance to CRG staff, helping in the consolidation of the CRG work into a coherent whole and providing support to other thematic area as in integration of thematic approaches.
· Be part of Save the Children’s regional and global CRG networks and providing strategic input to regional and global thinking on CRG on an as needs basis.
Lead development and growth of CRG program
· Ensuring that all country-wide CRG initiatives are in alignment with CRG country strategy and follow Save the Children’s Theory of Change
· Lead on the design of cost effective, innovative and high quality CRG proposals working closely with member technical advisors, and program operational and donor management teams
· Positioning Save the Children as a leading organization in Child rights in China
Lead and Management of key national programme and advocacy efforts
· Oversee the management of key national CRG programme to implement relative activities, and coordinating national level relationships, in particular with the key ministries and other stakeholders
· To lead and support the development of key advocacy messages, policy briefs for CRG and other thematic areas with thematic leads and communications team.
· To facilitate advocacy priorities and strategies and in close liaison with CRG project team and other thematic teams.
· Develop, commission and/or manage research (of a high enough quality to publish) that can maximize the impact of Save the Children’s work on CRG
· To present at conferences and external meeting with aim to advance advocacy for Child rights policies.
· To support the Director of PDQA to develop and implement overall organizational advocacy strategy and overarching advocacy affords like SDG and international advocacy.
Technical Assistance and Programme Quality
· Directly providing or procuring technical support and advice to partners and project team.
· To implement and manage the national level CRG project work through key partners.
· Regular monitoring of national project partners’ project progress, thematic results indicators, in addition to global indicators and feeding this learning back into project design and implementation
· Work closely with Save the Children regional and global technical advisors to ensure our technical approaches are in alignment with regional and global initiatives
· Develop basic standards/fact information and toolkits on CRP and CRG to assist project and partner staff to deliver quality CRG project/programme with essential tools and better understanding of the topic.
· To review internal and external reports in technical contents provide feedback and suggestions of improvements to relevant PO colleagues.
Partnerships and external representation
· To develop and maintain a network of external experts on child rights practice and policies, with the aim to advance policy impact and change, in particular co-ordinating the relationship with key ministries
· Representation Save the Children at a senior level, actively networking to promote SC perspectives and building relationship that help facilitate the success of our projects.
· Balancing the needs/requests of Save the Children members, donors, and external partners to best ensure quality project results.
Knowledge Management and Learning
· Initiate and coordinate capacity building activities for key programme staff on child rights and CRG, including identifying external training opportunities, and organizing peer learning groups and seminars
· Strengthening technical expertise by keeping up to date and incorporating learnings from key research initiatives and regional/global trends related to CRG
· Ensure the learning materials, child rights related policies, operational research and good practice documentation are stored, sorted and shared on timely basis among to relevant program staffs.
· Present the program overall progress, strategies, learning and good practices in extended SMT meetings
Other Support as agreed with line manager
The post-holder may be required to support lend support to activities beyond the scope of this job description, for instance providing support to an emergency response or delegating for a colleague. This will be discussed and mutually agreed.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Passionate about helping vulnerable children
· Excellent listening and inter-personal skills; ability to work well with disadvantaged and diversified populations
· High level of self-awareness and willingness to take criticism as an opportunity for growth
· Master’s degree on law, policy, human child rights, social science or equivalent fields
· 7- 10 years working experiences with preferably experiences on program development, monitoring and evaluation, policy research and advocacy in a given or broader field related to child rights
· Experiences working with high level government agencies and academics on issues related to child rights or human rights is desirable
· Knowledge of project management cycle and experience in project design and proposal development
· Recommended advanced fluency in both Chinese and English
Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people